Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Annie's Noodles and Cupcakes

No one to cook for tonight, so Annie's Noodles it is!!!  Honestly, sometimes it's nice to just have a night to yourself, eat some favorite college food, and watch the silly shows I can't watch with my boyfriend (Access Hollywood and American Idol).  So, I'm excited for this night o' Jenna.

So, I have to give SOMETHING of my create cooking skills here.  This past summer I received Martha Stewart's Cupcakes book as a gift, and have been loving creating these little cakes!  My favorite to make are my beach cupcakes.


I used Martha's yellow cupcake and frosting recipe, but use your favorite recipes or a box mix.  After frosting the cupcakes, I dipped them in Sugar in the Raw, but you can also use sanding sugar.  Whole Foods also has lots of different types of sugar that look like "sand."  Then I cut out some clip-art flip flops, stuck them into the sand, and added the little umbrellas you get in your drink at Chinese food restaurants (bought them at iParty for $2.99 for about 500 of them...any other ideas of what I can do with these things?!).  


Red Velvet cupcakes....ugh.  Is there really anything better?  I think the right cream cheese frosting will either make it or break it.  There are some great recipes out there, but my favorites are Martha Stewart's and Paula Dean (we should probably trust a southern belle for this recipe...sorry Martha!).  The BEST thing about these treats though, is the deep red color.  The automatically coordinate with the 4th of July, Christmas, Valentine's Day, etc.  Most recently, I made them at our annual New Years party with my nieces and nephews, who, as you can see, LOVED them!  Below are Kate, 21 months, Clay, 6, and Maggie, 4.
















Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment