Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Quite possibly the most under-rated sandwich...

You know when you eat something you haven't had in a while and you think "WOW!  I really like this....why don't I have it more often?"  Well, that's the way I feel about egg salad sandwiches.

I don't know why...I just don't eat egg salad all that much.  You see it on the menu pretty often, they always seem to have gallons of it in the deli, you almost always have the ingredients at home to make it....but you just always skip over it.  Not sure why this is, but I'm on a mission to bring back the egg salad sandwich! 



So, I made it tonight.  I'm not going to share an exact recipe here...1) I think that's all a matter of taste and 2) I really didn't measure anything.  I used 3 hard-boiled eggs, some mayo, a blob of deli mustard, salt and pepper, and some chopped chives.  I had it on toast.  Quite a satisfying dinner if I say so myself.  If anyone can think of anything else yummy to add to egg salad, please share!  My friend added avocado...think that sounds awesome!

I DID however use Martha's tips on how to hard boil eggs.  For some reason, some people seem to mess this up and you end up with either really dry yokes that resemble yellow school chalk, or something that has the consistency of...yellow slime.  ick.  So, put the eggs in a saucepan, cover with 1 inch of water and bring to a boil.  As soon as it hits boiling, immediately take it off the heat, and cover it with a lid for 12 minutes.  Then put the eggs in an ice bath to stop the cooking.  You can either eat them warm, or wait for them to cool completely (about 10 minutes).

So, here I go on my quest to single handedly bring back egg salad!  Who's with me?! 

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Egg Salad...I have it at least once a week!! I like it the simple way you described it with no chives...although maybe chives would be good...

    I also take out mostly all of the yolks before chopping the eggs and use light mayo to make it slightly more healthy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your opening line reminds me of the 40 year old virgin.

    "God, Friday, when I went home, I really wanted an egg-salad sandwich. And I was just obsessing about it and I was like: 'Man, I'm gonna make one of those.' So-so, Saturday I went out and got, like, a dozen eggs and I boiled them all and then I just I-I spent, I don't know, probably three hours... like three and a half hours making you know, the mayonnaise and the onions and paprika and, you know, all the accoutrement. And then by the time I was done I just really didn't feel like eating it."

    ReplyDelete