Thursday, April 15, 2010

Happy Birthday, Nana!

Well, today would have been my Nana's birthday.  I have missed her every day since she passed away in September of 2007.  To celebrate her birthday, I made her Swedish Apple Pie.  Last fall, my Grampa gave me Nana's recipe box....such a priceless gift!!!  So for Christmas, I made a book of her recipes and gave them to my sisters, cousins, aunts, everyone!  It was a huge hit.  

 
Nana taught me a LOT about cooking and baking.  Nana devoted her entire life to her family...there was never a doubt that family was her #1 priority.  That was never shown more than through her cooking.  You could just drop by to say hi and within 20 minutes you had a pot roast, mashed potatoes, green beans, homemade biscuits, and something yummy for dessert in front of you.  When I was learning to cook, she told me that "cooking isn't hard....just find a recipe you like and make it your own."  At the time I didn't have a clue what she meant, but I do now.  Nana taught me so much about cooking, but more importantly, she taught me about LIFE.  Nothing is more important than your family and friends, and the best things in life are usually the most simple things.  

So, here is Nana's Swedish Apple Pie.  I think this was actually her mother's recipe.  I used to LOVE this growing up.  What makes this apple pie so different, is that there isn't a crust.  You put the apples on the bottom and then cover with the topping.  I was too anxious to wait until it cooled to cut into (warning, this pie will make your house smell AMAZING)....but please try your best to wait!  Otherwise its still a bit juicy and messy....but as Nana would say, "its all going to the same place!"


Fill 9" pie pan 2/3 full with sliced apples (I used Cortlands, peeled and cored, and cut them 1/4" thick).  Sprinkle with 1/2 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.  In a bowl, combine 3/4 melted butter, 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup sugar, pinch of salt, and 1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used pecans...I can't remember what Nana used to use).  Smooth the topping over the apples.  Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until top is browned.  (I also put the pie plate on a cookie sheet....good thing since it did spill over a bit in the oven).


So, enjoy!  Happy Happy Birthday Nana!  I cried when I was slicing the apples, I cried when I took my first bite of the pie and was transported back to your kitchen, and I'm crying now.  You were one of the best cooks I ever knew....if I can be half as good as you, then I'll be a success in the kitchen too.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Jenna:

    Nana would be so proud. She loved family, friends and good food. What a beautiful tribute to her. I am sure she would be so proud of you, as am I. Love, Mum

    ReplyDelete